07 August, 2007

1,000th post

Nothing that really matters to the general public I guess. But I made my 1,000th post yesterday in the Spring forums. At the moment it's the community I'm most active in after I worked with Spring on my last two major projects.

The first project was a major refactoring. The web application was mainly separated into a web tier based on Apache Cocoon and a business tier without a container or distinct architecture. I introduced Spring for the dependency injection in the business tier and replaced the home-grown transaction framework with a JTA-based solution. Besides the database we access a Corba server and the file system transactionally so we need distributed transactions and two-phase commits. I wrote an XAResource/ JCA implementation for Apache Commons Transaction. Unfortunately I can't release this stuff as open-source but have to reimplement it when the time allows it. I use Jencks which integrates the Apache Geronimo transaction and connection management, so I don't need a full-blown JEE server, but I can use Spring and Apache Tomcat.

The second project was a portal. Starting from scratch was really nice. I could reuse my JTA/ JCA stuff and added JMS to the picture. As portal server Liferay 4.1.2 was chosen - and I learned to hate it quite fast. So many issues especially (but not only) with IBM DB2. Lately I switched to 4.3.0 - and I am quite happy with it. They have improved tremendously and now I can also recommend it. For the portlets I used Spring Portlet MVC which was really new at that time and had still the one or the other issue. But in contrary to Liferay (this improved a lot as well) and especially Hibernate (that's a topic on its own) I really got help from the community and issues got fixed really fast. That's when it makes fun to live on the bleeding edge and is not only frustrating.

Getting more and more used to the different parts of Spring I also started to share my knowledge. First it have been the custom scopes (which I used in both projects) and proxying (mostly for declarative transactions), later I added Spring MVC in general, Spring Portlet MVC in particular and the PropertyEditors to the picture. And so that's what I focus mainly on in the Spring forums.

Actually my home community is Apache Cocoon. That's were I started in end of 2000 and I became a committer in mid 2003. Unfortunately, by not working really with Cocoon for the last two years I lost more or less track of its development. I still try to bring me in from time to time though (as lately by propagating PropertyEditors as in Spring ;-) ). I'd like to work more again in this community again in the future, especially with the forthcoming next version 2.2.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Congratulations Joerg :)